So in my first post, I got the beer into the fermenter and I then left the fermenter bubbling away for about a week and a half in our utility room – I had a problem with the heat belt I’ve been using, its clearly developed a fault and tried to burn me! I had to resort to a portable fan heater to keep the temperature in the room up, seems to have worked OK though.

The Young’s kit comes with a packet of hops to add to the fermenter a few days before bottling… of course I forgot to take any photos (other than ones of cats and our trip to the Christmas markets in Munich).


Dunkel Beer at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich

Anyhow, I added the hops and then left the fermenter for another couple of days.

As I’ve not (yet) got a tap in my fermenter, I had to sterilise the trial jar to be able to take a hydrometer reading. On the first check a few days after adding the hops the reading was still higher than expected from the kit instructions so I left it for another few days.

I checked the gravity another couple of times to ensure fermentation had finished and the final gravity came out at 1.005.

I keep a spreadsheet to log my beers and calculate ABV; in this case it works out at 6.2% using the formula below:

(Original Gravity – Final Gravity) x 1.3125

Next step was to decant all the beer into my King Keg. The beer kit came with some priming sugar so I added that to the bottom of the keg to mix in as the beer syphoned in. I stood the keg on a stool to raise it up as my tube for syphoning isn’t long enough otherwise to reach the bottom of the keg and I don’t want it splashing around and causing problems with oxidisation.


Not some beer….

Once everything was setup, I syphoned the beer across, screwed the lid on the keg, injected some CO2 via the top valve and started on the clean up job. I was planning to leave the beer a few weeks, but I snuck a couple of tastes in early and it was pretty good even after a week. I’ve heard this kit ages well, so I’ll leave for a while and then write up a quick review!